George is a seasoned corporate attorney with substantial experience in a wide variety of legal matters. He has practiced in both state and federal courts, including the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and has also successfully handled numerous arbitrations and mediations.
A New Jersey native, George graduated with honors from Rutgers University, where he studied Philosophy and Economics. He received his law degree, cum laude, from the University of San Diego School of Law. As a law student, George worked for U.S. District Court Judge Larry A. Burns and as a teaching assistant for the law school’s legal research and writing program.
After receiving his law degree, George accepted a position with Rutan & Tucker, LLP, a large, prestigious law firm in Southern California that has repeatedly been named a “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers. While at Rutan & Tucker, George had the privilege of representing large corporations and international businesses in multi-million dollar cases as well as small companies, entrepreneurs, and other individuals facing a variety of complex legal issues.
Hungry for increased autonomy and the opportunity to provide more personalized representation to individual clients, George sought out a small firm environment. Having also decided to relocate to the East Coast to be closer to family, George found Weisberg & Weisberg to be the perfect match for his skills and professional aspirations.
Outside of his legal practice, George enjoys racing and working on cars, playing drums in a jazz ensemble, and spending time with his wife Kristin.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
George’s experience includes complex civil litigation, corporate law, wills, trusts, and estates. He has successfully represented large and small companies and individuals in connection with issues involving business contracts, internal business disputes, business entity formation, trademarks and copyrights, trade secrets, defamation claims, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty allegations, public and private construction projects, landlord-tenant disputes, employment law, insurance coverage, judgment enforcement, real estate, and products liability.
Although George is equipped to assist you with a wide variety of legal matters, his practice primarily focuses on civil litigation, business law, and wills, trusts, and estates planning and litigation and traffic violations.
George has successfully represented large domestic and international companies in multi-million dollar cases as well as small businesses, entrepreneurs, and other individuals facing a variety of complex legal issues. Below are some examples of matters that George has handled.
CASE RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. CASE RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY THE LAWYERS AT WEISBERG & WEISBERG PLLC.
- Representation of a web developer who alleged that he was not paid for his work and that his intellectual property was misappropriated, which resulted in a settlement favorable to the web developer.
- Successful defense of an adhesive products business against efforts by a supplier to lock up the business’s assets based on claims of breach of contract, which resulted in the court rejecting the supplier’s efforts and making a ruling favorable to the business.
- Representation of a mortgage company in its efforts to secure insurance benefits in connection with multiple third-party lawsuits, which resulted in a trial court judgment in the mortgage company’s favor and a subsequent settlement favorable to the company.
- Defense of former shareholders of an aquatic products company against claims by the purchasers of the company for a refund of monies paid for the business based on alleged breaches of the purchase agreement, which resulted in a substantial reduction of the amounts the shareholders were required to pay back.
- Representation of an industrial storage tank manufacturer in connection with its efforts to challenge an unfavorable jury verdict through post-judgment proceedings, which resulted in a court ruling substantially reducing the amount of the judgment.
- Successful defense of a landlord against allegations of fraud and malicious prosecution by an evicted tenant, which resulted in a trial court judgment in the landlord’s favor.
- Representation of a concrete grinding and demolition subcontractor in connection with claims against a general contractor for failure to pay for work completed on a construction project, which resulted in a settlement entitling the subcontractor client to a significant monetary payment.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law & Civil Litigation
- Wills, Trusts and Estates - Planning and Litigation
- Traffic Violations
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- Juris Doctorate cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Rutgers University, B.A. in Philosophy
- Honors: With Honors
- Arming Your Trial Lawyer: Your Key Agreements And Communications Should Reflect Strategic Use Of Rights, Duties, Burdens Of Proof And Presumptions, Orange County Business Journal, August 26, 2013
Past Employment Positions
- Rutan & Tucker LLP
- Law Offices of George Gorman