We are offering all of our clients the options of telephone consultations or video-conferencing to further minimize the risk of exposure to our clients and staff. Read more.
Weisberg & Weisberg, P.L.L.C.
Blog
  1. Home
  2.  ▶ 
  3. Family Law
  4.  ▶ Statistics to consider when thinking about adoption

Statistics to consider when thinking about adoption

If you’re someone looking to adopt a child, one of the best ways to do so is to start as a foster parent. Foster parents get to know children and provide them with safe homes. Some foster children go on to be available for adoption, while others return to their families.

If you’re ready to adopt, think about the type of child who would do best in your family. While you have a right to adopt a child from any background, it may be beneficial for children from certain races or backgrounds to be placed with you. For instance, if you’re a mixed-race family, a mixed-race child may feel more at home with you than with an all-white or all-black family.

Virginia has many children ready for adoption. Around 53 percent of them are male, while the other 47 percent are females. The majority of children ready for fostering or adoption are white or African-American. Around 9 percent of children are from a Hispanic background, and around 9 percent are multi-racial.

If you’re interested in adopting a younger child, around one-fourth of the available children are under the age of 5. Around half of the children prepared for foster homes or adoption are 13 years of age or older, which may work out well for you if you want to give an older child a good home.

Growing your family is an amazing opportunity for you and a child looking for a home. With the right help, you can move forward with the adoption process, so you can bring home your child sooner.

Source: Connecting Hearts Virginia, “Help us help our kids!,” accessed Feb. 27, 2018

FindLaw Network
Divider

Let's Do This Together

Contact Weisberg & Weisberg, PLLC, in Newport News, to discuss your legal matter in confidence with one of our lawyers. We welcome the opportunity to serve you and your family.
Contact Us