Weisberg Weisberg | Personal Attention. Exceptional Representation
The Attorneys or staff of Weisberg Weisberg
Custody Modification
  1. Home
  2.  ► 
  3. Family Law
  4.  ► 
  5. Child Custody
  6.  ► Custody Modification

Modifying Your Child Custody Order

In Virginia, child custody is awarded based on how a court perceives the best interests of a child. Many factors influence a custody decision, whether it comes as part of a divorce or it applies to a child whose parents were never married.

Custody orders can be changed — modified by a judge — when a parent’s circumstances have changed substantially or when a child’s needs have changed. If you believe your custody arrangements should be reviewed by a court, get the legal advice you need. Talk to an attorney at Weisberg & Weisberg, PLLC, a boutique firm based in Newport News , VA.

Can I Change My Custody Arrangements?

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to modify your custody order if:

  • You and your co-parent have agreed that custody should be adjusted or changed.
  • You are relocating (see below).
  • A new visitation plan or schedule will benefit your child or children because his or her needs have changed.
  • Your child’s other parent is having problems that are getting in the way of his or her parenting.

Child Relocation

Many parents wish to change their custody or visitation arrangements when they move. If you are planning to relocate with your child and your projected new home is more than a certain distance from your existing home, you may need to get your child’s other parent’s permission, and you may need to modify court orders.

Our lawyers can help you understand your rights and options regarding a move you or your child’s other parent is planning.

Talk To A Lawyer Who Can Help

Contact Weisberg & Weisberg, PLLC, for guidance regarding your custody matter. Call 757-659-9611 in Newport News .

Let's Do This Together

Contact Weisberg & Weisberg, PLLC, in Newport News, to discuss your legal matter in confidence with one of our lawyers. We welcome the opportunity to serve you and your family.