Weisberg Weisberg | Personal Attention. Exceptional Representation
The Attorneys or staff of Weisberg Weisberg
Spousal Support: Is There A Right To Retire?
  1. Home
  2.  ► 
  3. Family Law
  4.  ► 
  5. Spousal Support
  6.  ► Spousal Support: Is There A Right To Retire?

20-109: Spousal Support: Is There A Right To Retire?

As Americans age, medical expenses can consume an increasing portion of their income, and medical issues can affect their ability to work like they did when they were younger. It is normal to want to retire at a reasonable age, but for some older adults who pay spousal support, historically known as alimony, there is worry about when support stops or at least lessens.

Chapter 6, Title 20 of the Code of Virginia concerns “domestic relations” and addresses when spousal support can terminate or be reduced according to individual circumstances, generally by petitioning a court for a change. Known to many as “20-109,” this statute is especially of interest to divorced payers of spousal support who may wonder how long they can keep up the payments – and when and if they can actually retire.

Get Experienced Legal Advice And Representation

If you have critical questions about the support you pay – questions that may affect your health and your future – it is important to get them satisfactorily answered by an experienced family law attorney who understands 20-109 and the subtleties of how it applies to your circumstances. At Weisberg & Weisberg, PLLC, our lawyers can answer questions like:

  • Will I be paying spousal support until I die?
  • How hard is it to modify or change the amount of support I pay?
  • Are death and remarriage really the only things that can change our support order?
  • What’s the difference between an indefinite award and a permanent award?
  • What happens to spousal support when my income is reduced?
  • Will it help to go to court and ask about my support amount?

Talk To Us About Your Spousal Support Case

Every spousal support situation is different. Times change. Courts can give advisory opinions on issues related to 20-109. Get the help you need by contacting Weisberg & Weisberg. Call 757-659-9611.

Let's Do This Together

Contact Weisberg & Weisberg, PLLC, in Newport News, to discuss your legal matter in confidence with one of our lawyers. We welcome the opportunity to serve you and your family.